Students who are interested in the Human Development major are encouraged to use the Freshman and Sophomore Years in this sample plan as a guide for completing the prerequisites in order to apply to the major by the beginning of the Junior Year. Students who have not completed the prerequisites the beginning of their Junior Year are strongly discouraged from taking courses that count toward the major until after they are admitted. Instead, students in their Junior Year should focus on completing course and GPA prerequisites. Once admitted to the major, students are encouraged to use the Junior and Senior Years in this plan to guide the completion of their major coursework. Students are always encouraged to seek academic advising from the Program Coordinator and/or Faculty Advisors early and often to ensure they stay on track to graduate in a timely fashion. Please check the HD Academic Advising page for advisor office hours.
|Fall Semester (15 Units)||Spring Semester (15 Units)|
|GE [A3] (3)1||GE [B3] (3-4)|
|MATH 165 [B4] (4)1||GE [C2] (4)|
|GE [C1] (3)||GE [C3] (3-4)|
|GE [D2] (3)||University Elective (3-4)|
|University Elective (1)2||University Elective (1-2)2|
|Fall Semester (15-16 Units)||
Spring Semester (15 Units)
|HD CA/AL/GS/SCL Course (3-4)||HD CA/AL/GS/SCL Course (3-4)|
|HD 450 (4)||HD 322 (4)|
|HD Elective (3-4)||HD 490 (1)|
|University or HD Elective (3-4)||University or HD Elective (3-4)|
|University or HD Elective (1-3)2||University or HD Elective (1-4)2|
Total Semester Units: 120
- Pre-HD requirement. Must be completed with required grade, along with 30 units of lower division GE, before the student can apply to the HD major. In this 4-year plan, the student is on trackt o complete the Pre-HD curriculum by th eend of the Fall semester of sophomore year.
- If needed to reach 15 units.
- HD CA/AL/GS/SCL Course’ refers to courses that make up the Topical Area Requirements for the major: CA=Childhood and Adolescence; AL=Adulthood and Lifespan; GS=Gender and Sexuality; SCL=Society, Culture and Language. Please see the for the list of courses that meet these requirements.
- At least two courses must be upper division GE outside area E. Upper division GE courses must be taken after the student acheives Junior standing (60 units).
- At least 2 courses must be upper division GE and one must be outside GE area E. Upper division GE courses must be taken after the student achieves Junior standing (60 units completed).